Upgrade SUB, buy better Speakers, both or other option

• Ersteller Fischfix
  • Erstellt am
Fischfix

Fischfix

Reaktionen
Upgrade my studio monitors Samson Resolv A8 worth it or just buy a decent Sub instead of my HIFI sub

hello guys,

i am recording, mixing and "mastering" my own songs in my own home studio (
View: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1XH2yognXHon74zfyodVYd?si=9ae65baad8424e68)

Now, the room I am using is only 3x3x2,5m roughly - a cube more or less. i have som treatment in my room and so far i worked with my samson resolv A8s + a HiFI sub. I've added the sub to accomodate to the room as the bass is canceled out quite a bit at my listening/mixing position so witht he sub, i get at least the feel and rumble. Additionally i am lisitening to my stuff in my hifi, car and couple of other devices. I have also a Behringer Ultira curve PRo to DSP my Monitors (not the sub) so I am quite - linear.

As you can imagine this takes a lot of time going back and forth, and my assumption is that i can streamline this all a bit more to get to my desired results with better monitors. The problem with my sub is, it is directly coming from the output of my interface, there is no connection possible in the normal way where the monitors go into that sub. so the volume is only balanced at a certain setting - but i can live with that. i am only using the sub to check the very low end anyway and have it turned off usually while mixing.

Now, i got some money coming in which I can spend on some studio upgrades, we talk roughly about 700€ + if I decide to buy better monitor speakers 150 for the samson. + 100 for the Ultra curve if I go for the Neuman kh80. which would give me roughly 1000€

honestly I am happy with the samson and the dsp solution, but not with the sub. But probably only because I don't know any better yet ;) I have also some AKG 702 and three of the waves Nx Studios but this is not really fun to mix with IMO.

So here are my options I am considering

1. Replacing my HIFI (Canton something) Sub with e.g. the JBL LSR 310 S, KRK, or Yamaha hs 8s, Kali audio ws-12 and rout everything properly, getting the balance right and using the ultracurve for the DSP
2. Replacing the Samson with e.g. Neuman KH80 and add a Sub (selling the ultracurve and monitors)
3. Neumann KH120, Kali Audio IN-5 or IN-8, or Focal Alpha Twin or 65 evo and add a better sub later on
4. something else you guys suggest me to do, I am almost certain i cannot do anything more on the room as it is packed already, i might add a diffusor/cloud on the ceiling

So main goal is to get mixing done faster with more stable results I can trust .

i think it's pretty flat when volume levels are set correctly, but when changing volume i cannot change the volume of the sub together with the monitors so things get out of proportion. this is the best i can get it to:

I

Anhänge

• RDT_20240605_1803078085028966239161081.png
    RDT_20240605_1803078085028966239161081.png
    427,8 KB · Aufrufe: 34
  • RDT_20240605_1803146550577336606861212.png
    RDT_20240605_1803146550577336606861212.png
    3,4 MB · Aufrufe: 16
As you have a small room, have you considered good headphones?

Headphones are the way to go. Maybe some Planar Headphones or the new Sennheiser HD490 Pro which one i use and getting good results / Translationen on other Systems (Car / Soundbar etc.). Your Room is too small for mixing low end with a Sub. Calculate the Wavelengths…

I have akg-702 and the waves nx stuff (3 different studios: CLA, Abbey Road and the Nashville one) I "hate" it - well it's not that bad, however really, headphones is something I don't wanna consider as my go to, it is part of my chain when checking translation but for most of the time I want to have air pushing. . I have also in ears which i check my stuff.

the idea of the upgrade is to reduce the amount of going back and forth between different systems but have one main system that is my 80%. And another thing: how can I hear SUB on headphones, they have so small diaphragms, they cannot get me the rumble and movement in the body

And another thing, I have a SUB already and it makes a huge difference even in my room, saying a sub does not make any difference because of some calculations is just weird. I invite you to my room and you can check for yourself *ggg*

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
of course a sub will make a difference. but probably not for the better. You could use headphones with a subpac if you miss the rumble..
I get your point though. Mixing with headphones doesn't feel the same way.
However, with the room you have, better speakers won't solve the problem. The room is the bottleneck in this scenario. upgrading your speakers or sub will be a waste of money.

flatness of the frequency curve aside, the reverberation in your room is abysmal throughout. Nothing will change that. the room is too small to treat it properly and still have enough space to move

i know you probably don't want to hear this, but that's how physics work.

My honest suggestion would be to try to either find a better room, get used to mixing with headphones, or work with what you have and crosscheck your mixes. don't waste your money

Okay, danke. Ich bins nur gewohnt mittlerweile auf englisch zu schreiben. Kann auch deutsch.

Also gut,dann kauf ich nen anderen günstigen sub der mir zumindest eine homogene lautstärkensteuerung erlaubt. Ich mag meinen raum, gibt keine andere option die keine baugenehmigung erfordert.

Kauf ich hald den kali oder yamaha oder irgend nen anderen den ich günstig über kleinaziegen bekomme.

Der Raum ist wie er ist, wenn das der "Rat" hier im forum ist brauchen wir hier nicht weiter diskutieren, von mir aus kann man den beitrag auch löschen oder schließen. dachte es ghet um Kaufberatung. ...

nur zur Info, gibt genug Menschen die in kleinen Räume offenbar sehr erfolgreich Musik produzieren:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW1bKNhL-wo

nur als Beispiel, der Raum ist minimal größer als meiner (tiefer) also redet keinen schmarren von wegen "der raum sei nicht groß genug". Klar es ist nicht der Meistersaal in den Hansastudios aber mir reichts einfach nur eine verbesserung der aktuellen situation zu erreichen.

Mein aktueller Sub ist aus einer HIFI anlage für TV, ich will was besseres was sinnvoll ist. DAS war die Frage.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Also wenn ich Dich richtig verstanden habe, gehst Du das Problem völlig falsch an. Wenn sich in Deinem Raum bestimmte Bassfrequenzen auslöschen, helfen weder andere Boxen, da werden die Frequenzen dann ja auch ausgelöscht, noch ein Subwoofer, der erweitert das Spektrum ja nur nach unten. Wenn Du keine Bassfallen aufstellen kannst, versuch doch mal die Position der Boxen zu ändern.
Abgesehen davon denke ich, daß die A8 für diese Musik völlig ausreichen - ohne Subwoofer.

Super danke das ist mal eine Auskunft die hiflt. Also die Ecken sind alle schon voll mit Kaltschaum und Steico, die wände auch soweit möglich. den aktuellen sub hatte ich schon an verschiedenen stellen udn wie auch im text gesagt, schalte ich den ja nur zu um untenrum dann was zu spüren, in den meisten fällen ist der eh aus :) Das mit dem Auslöschen ist hald meine Interpretation, weil wenn ich z.b. mit der abhörposition nach hinten rutsche gibts auch bei den 8A stellen wo ich den bass super höre, und dann stellen wo man nur noch bass hört. ich hab auch einen befreundeten Akustiker gefragt, der meinte mein raum an sich ist eine große bass-box :)

Ich wünschte ich könnte den raum um 2-3m in alle richtungen verlängern aber das Gartenhaus (gemauert) ist hald so.

Gut wie dem auch sei, ich nehm dann den günstigsten sub mit den besten bewertungen damit die hifi box weg kann. JBL LSR 310s, hab ich gleich was um die füße hochzulegen.

ich werde mich jetzt im netz noch etwas informieren. gibt genug reviews von warren huart offenbar zum thema speaker in kleinen raum. seine abhöre ist auch nur minimal größer als mein raum

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Neue Antworten

Oft gelesene Themen

Zurück
Oben