DIY Barry Porter Net EQ

Schick, schick. Auch optisch werden wir wohl mit einem sehr aehnlichen design enden. Sind die verschiedenfarbigen positionszeiger bei sifam erhaeltlich? Ich hatte die bislang nirgendwo gesehen.

ich bräuchte mal ne kurze übersicht:
wieviele ebenen brauchen die schalter für:
- freq
- gain
- Q

?

ich bräuchte mal ne kurze übersicht:
wieviele ebenen brauchen die schalter für:
- freq
- gain
- Q

?

bei mir brauchts für die frequenz und q natürlich doppelt so viele ebenen wie bei einem echten dual mono, zudem nehmen wir nun auch 23 positionen für die frequenzen

Anhänge

• schaltertypen.jpg
    schaltertypen.jpg
    10,4 KB · Aufrufe: 211
robin schmidt hat mich auf eine interessante idee gebracht

"I would make the boost/cut controls stereo ganged with a 2 deck rotary level switches, so that you can EQ with one hand, without having to match channels.

...and to keep M/S functionality (I read on the gearslutz thread that you want that), keep the Side-signal rotary controls too, but have it so that an extra on/off switch per band engages them, i.e. changes routing from the main 2 deck stereo signal rotary control to the S-level control.

So you would usually start EQing with just one knob, and only when you want to use M & S differently, would you have to "ungang" controls.

Furthermore: If you do the layout so that the Main/M boost/cut knob is the only knob on the bottom row (or if the S-boost/cut knob is next to it but with smaller ELMA knob), you can EQ with one hand, and without having to look at all. That's one of the features I really love on my stereo ganged Sontec 462, and wouldn't want to be without: blind EQing & EQing without having to look/move your head.)"

wird nun fast so umgesetzt - gain 1 wird zum stereogain - dann hat man einen "richtigen stereo-eq", mit einem kippschalter kann man aber die gains trennen und für kanal 1 & 2 einzeln einstellen

coole idee... zwar nicht ganz trivial zum umsetzen aber fast schon zu gut für einen zusatz-eq zum buzz... :)

coole idee... zwar nicht ganz trivial zum umsetzen aber fast schon zu gut für einen zusatz-eq zum buzz... :)
wer redet von zusatz?
gleichwertiger alternativ-main- eq :)
die umsetzung ist machbar, das habe ich bereits mit sampa besprochen - der mehraufwand hält sich in grenzen.

potianordnung der bänder (ganz schnell und hässlich gezeichnet) vielleicht so?

damit könnte man den eq "blind" bedienen, was sicher einem intuitiven arbeiten zuträglich ist

Anhänge

• schmidt blind eq.jpg
    schmidt blind eq.jpg
    29,6 KB · Aufrufe: 202
Wow, coole Idee!

Mit dem Button Dual wird die zusätzliche Ebene des Gain-Reglers gebypassed bzw. das Signal auf den entsprechenden anderen Regler gelegt? Spannend. Nimmst du trotzdem Elmas?

Aber ich bleibt trotzdem bei Dual Mono für den NetEQ...

... oder doch eher so angeordnet?

Anhänge

• schmidt blind eq2.jpg
    schmidt blind eq2.jpg
    34,5 KB · Aufrufe: 206
was bei der 2ten version gut kommt, ist, dass die channels eindeutig auf einer achse sitzen (auch mit dem hochpass). ich bin mir aber nicht sicher, ob ich für die gains übereinander greifen möchte. wenn da würde ich F & Q noch tauschen, da F wichtiger ist & damit besser erreichbar.

was bei der 2ten version gut kommt, ist, dass die channels eindeutig auf einer achse sitzen (auch mit dem hochpass). ich bin mir aber nicht sicher, ob ich für die gains übereinander greifen möchte. wenn da würde ich F & Q noch tauschen, da F wichtiger ist & damit besser erreichbar.

q ist deshalb unten, weil er kleiner ist & so die hand beim "blind hingreifen" den richtigen drehschalter erwischt - das war ja auch der grund für die versetzte variante davor.

ein paar inputs aus gearslutz:

"I have not read through this thread, but Matt let me know that the factory modified Buzz REQ-2.2 ME that I also own was mentioned and asked that I share some of my thoughts. Before getting into a few points, I must stress that each of the EQ's I own and those I have used/use are tools. Tools are made to aid the user in fulfilling a job and beyond that some tools can be great fun to use, as well as being tools that can be quite beautiful when you look upon how they were crafted, designed, and assembled by hand (the latter being a rarer trait for most items in the world today).

I have used an original Buzz and I am the owner of a factory modified Buzz, modeled after Matt's unit (whose options I call the Matt Gray modification), though I am sure there are some differences between my Buzz EQ and Matt's. I have never done a 1 to 1 comparison of the original Buzz and the modified Buzz. Giving a detailed and accurate assessment between the two would not be possible as it would be strictly from memory and therefore unscientific. I can say that I prefer the modified Buzz over the stock model and enjoy the pairing of it to my NSEQ-2F. The Modified Buzz was purchased with the intention of pairing it with my BPEQ, though they have not been matched up yet, since the Buzz is in my private studio. I do believe that the two units will compliment each other nicely, as they offer two different options. The BPEQ being extremely transparent, while the Modded Buzz is a clean unit with (for lack of a better word) a touch of vibe, a little less subtle, but not in an aggressive way.

The sonics of any gear can be pretty tough to describe and my idea of colored, transparent, or having vibe, very well could vary from the reader's. To put things in perspective, think of different shades of blue. Each shade is cut paper thin and rests gently on top of one another, moving from the lightest color, to the darkest. The NSEQ-2F (whose character also changes a touch depending upon if it's in balanced or unbalanced mode) lies in between the BPEQ and Modified Buzz in terms of transparency. From memory I would place the Buzz closer to the Sontec family in the context of a Sontec I was able to use for a bit of time and in terms of the comparison files between Matt Gray's Buzz and Matt Gray's Sontec. The Buzz and Sontec are not identical in sonics and saying something is in the same family does not mean that it is that unit, and it does not mean that one EQ is any better or worse than the other. Once again, these are tools and the tools that I own and have worked with I would label as good tools, which are used in different ways on different program material and sometimes are not used at all if the track at hand does not call for it. To clobber the point with a fifty pound sledge hammer, if you want a unit that sounds like a Buzz, buy a Buzz, if you want a unit that sounds like a Sontec, buy that specific model Sontec and have it setup in the same fashion as the one you heard, which is why I asked Tim from Buzz to modify my unit with the same parameters as Matt's (and even then if they are not 100% identical, I would wager that they very well could sound a touch different from each other).

ben f:

"Thanks for your insights Matt. Sounds like this 'modded' Buzz is achieving mythical status for the non technical people reading this thread.

From what I can tell, and I'm happy to be corrected, Matt Grey just took Jonte Knifs 'quality factors in pro audio equipment' philosophy and asked Tim to apply it it to the Buzz http://www.knifaudio.com/pdf/Quality...0equipment.pdf

Specifically, Mu Metal shielding, signal connection and connectors, and audio transformers. The lundahls used were just the simple 1:1 output transformers strapped after the output stage- so you could do this mod yourself by putting some in line with the Buzz XLR output.

I tested the Buzz as well and didn't come to the same conclusions. Compared to a Sontec reissue, the Sontec 482 was cleaner and less soft than the Buzz. The 482 uses the newer HS 2000 op amps, where as I'm sure Matt had an older Sontec 430 unit with HS 1000 op amps that generally sound darker and softer. I'm sure Matt's Buzz did sound better than his Sontec however that's not to say it sounds better than ALL Sontecs as I've found no 2 sound exactly the same, and due to poor QC, are built the same. I can strap a pair of Lundahls after the output as well- as my Knif Vari-mu is modded by me to do that- but I'd prefer this to be part of the design (such as the Manley Massive Passive or Knif Soma), rather than putting after a balancing output stage.

Anyway, sometimes I find all this 'modding' talk amusing as if we are building cars and putting turbo charges on them, when in reality they are just simple modifications like changing the tyres for better performance."

diese lundahls könnten interesannt sein als option für den BPEQ

Ich bin gerade dabei die Widerstandswerte für die Stufenschalter zu berechnen.

An der Aufteilung des Gains ändert sich ja nichts mehr, oder ?

Wegen den Werten des Q Faktors bin ich mir noch nicht sicher. Da muss ich wohl direkt am Gerät erstmal ein paar Messungen machen.

Ich bin gerade dabei die Widerstandswerte für die Stufenschalter zu berechnen.

An der Aufteilung des Gains ändert sich ja nichts mehr, oder ?

Wegen den Werten des Q Faktors bin ich mir noch nicht sicher. Da muss ich wohl direkt am Gerät erstmal ein paar Messungen machen.

der gain bleibt so:

gain +/-

Ich nehm das gleiche.:drink:

Den ersten step als 0,25dB auszuführen finde ich eine sehr gute Idee!

eigentlich finde ich ja 0.5db "unmusikalisch"
0.375, 0.75, 1.5, 3, 6db - das sind mE viel musikalischere schritte - aber das auf einem poti sinnvoll umzusetzen ohne komische anschreiborgien lässt mich an der idee zweifeln...

man könnte natürlich auch nur jeden zweiten wert anschreiben...

(0.375)
(1.125)
(1.875)
(2.625)
(3.375)

oder so

(0.375)
(1.125)
(1.875)
(2.625)

meinungen dazu?