Der günstigste Mastering-Comp der Welt ?

quinto schrieb mir zum thema "analog computing":

"Oh, analog computing is a way to design analog circuits, where you think pf formulas instead of single components. E.g. the only thing I understood in that forum is somebody called it a LA2A.
It is because we built the shape of the curve of the LA2A, the variation of the response of the opto with frequency and time and memory effects through formulas, which then were transformed into circuits.
Using an opto wouldn't have been analog computing. Modeling its behaviour through these formulas is analog computing.

Example, a volume control.

Let's polarize a transistor and change its working level through a pot isn't analog computing.
Let's set an opamp as a multiplier, let's multiply the input times a voltage we send from a pot is analog computing (this stupid example is a VCA).

Analog computing gives you the power to get infinite behaviours from a board.
The opposite is installing an opto, four vca comps, two fet comps etc in the case and look for some networks that behave like the curve you want etc. etc.

Dbx165 uses a diode to get a smooth compression curve in its auto mode.
We use some multipliers and adders to build it (computing)."

Hi guys!
I've been pointed to this thread by teebaum. I cannot read, write (or translate through Google, argh!) deutsch, so I hope you can stand some english here.
I can answer to your questions if you want, I'm having quite some fun with this toy and I'd like to share some thoughts about it.
If writing english in this forum isn't a nice thing, we can setup a link to a thread in our forum to keep this thread clean, just let me know.

I read just something about stereo image: this comp is stereo, so a single sidechain (from mixed L-R) controls both channels. No moving image shift.
Don't get the examples wrong. As you have noticed, there isn't any official demo. It means that we didn't find the time to sit down in a decent environment and record some nice things.
I got an email from teebaum and I love collaboration, so I squeezed some audio from an unit I was calibrating (the one we're taking to AES in NY). It is some opto model, with lots of compression. I wanted to show the frequency dependance, phase shift in sidechain (I don't know if it is something we can hear from audio, well, a rounder compression), some bouncing in the compression curve, etc.
Does it make sense in a mastering thread? Well... no. :)
It is about fun (in a serious way, being work), we're not constrained inside marketing limits... more like talking to friends... I'm able to setup a good "marketing" sample ;)
I'm used to behave trasparently, so I started from an heavy handed sample.

So. Let's talk about it if you want. Just let me know about this "english writing" thing.

hi quinto

i'm happy to see ypou here - it's much better when you answer in english than me "as a translator".

Welcome, nice to see you here. I think its no problem switching to english. I will join the discussion later in the day.

Heho! I noticed that the signal has shifted a bit to the left. I would be interested to know how it sounds to individual signals (maybe vocals..?) I think, it's not the best on a sum.. sounds a bit squeezed and small.

The main point is if you hear a static shift (which is not a real problem until it is your unit :) ).

I'd like to stress this point: this comp is several things. E.g. peak detection, rms detection, slow rms detection, differential detection (on the principles of Some well known level independent dynamic controllers and GML); straight sidechain (hard knee), soft knee (LA2A style, like in the samples), several comp curves, clean curve, bouncing (when stressed) curve; clean level controller (like modern VCA), colored, strongly frequency dependent with time (like opto and the samples), with frequency response related to gain reduction, etc. etc. etc.

So it is hard to say "this is good on this or not". My samples aren't good on the original sample (I guess from some googling :) ).

What is a "mastering compressor"? Is this definition right? "Repeatability, reproducibility, optional transparency, controllable optional colour, good stereo linking and matching"... If it is right, this is ALSO a mastering compressor. Not only. "Vastaso" means a very rough, inpolite person :D

I understand that all this talking means nothing without a huge set of samples...

Oh, these samples are about 38 dBs up the knee! :D

hi quinto, nice to see you here!
its fine if we do that part of the discussion in english. maybe it would be cool the get some samples with less hard compression? it think 2-3dB of GR is sufficient.

i still didn't understand where the pan shift from the previous samples comes from. would you like to clarify? :)

Vastasos don't explain what they do.
They just do :)

:D right!

Yes, of course, we need a lot of audio samples here.

I don't know about the pan shift, something stupid while calibrating a brand new open unit. You know, the problem with stereo image is when it moves with dynamics. This comp works on a stereo mixed sidecain, so it simply cannot shift the stereo image. The same sidechain signal controls the laser trimmed VCAs.

The studio is 100% upside down because we are setting up the booth, the racks and leaving on wednesday to NY for AES. In the meanwhile we got to close some units and ship them, so I did cook mistake n.1: send a plate without tasting it.

Do we want to set a demo somewhere in Germany? I'd be really happy to if there is enough interest. Nothing to do with audio samples and tests, also on request, that we'll do, of course.

quintosardo schrieb in #69:

The studio is 100% upside down because we are setting up the booth, the racks and leaving on wednesday to NY for AES. In the meanwhile we got to close some units and ship them, so I did cook mistake n.1: send a plate without tasting it...

So for now:
I wish you good luck with your massacre-machine at the AES! :)

And for the future: Check your dishes befor you send it - taste, taste, taste (as Mr.M. P. White teaches)

;-)

Good luck!

Now it is official!

I named my cat (male) Vastaso :)
It fits perfectly.

Fantastico! :D

I'll post some Vastaso audio (with its worst soul) here later today.
(I know it is a thread about mastering, but just some noise to celebrate the new naming)

Yes Sir!
That's fine with me.

I am accustomed to any noise :)
Bring it on.

So it is hard to say "this is good on this or not".

yes you're absolutely right - i was a bit premature, I'm still interested, it seems to be a more versatile device than this one audio sample shows. so...rock on!
smil47c08a19019a4.gif

Oft gelesene Themen

Zurück
Oben