SSL Native Flexverb - $16.01

Before I got the Lexicon PCM-Bundle the X-Verb often was my main reverb, because it has a really great sound. The interface might be a bit complicated and presets are organized in folders and files, but you get used to it. For me the Lexicon PCM-Bundle is faster to use and has a better sound-quality, but the X-Verb was a good and (some years ago) cheaper alternative and some X-Verb presets are really unique (spring reverb and some fx).

The new FlexVerb is different: ER seem to be very static, they don't react to size or diffusion (might be a bug?) and the eq and compressor can't compensate this static behavior. Diffusion seems to have only minimal effects in the tail and changes are mostly audible when used with high modulation values. 'Size' changes the sound a bit with one mouse move, but it behaves a bit strange.

Long ago before ValhallaDSP, Exponential Audio and Lexicons were available as plug-in, I experimented a lot with chorus, eq and compressor and for example Waves TrueVerb or RVerb to emulate the sound of higher end reverbs. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not, because the key to a good reverb is way more than just an EQ! FlexVerb reminds me a bit of that area...

Kind of a letdown. I got all excited that I could upgrade but the verb algorithms are different. The compressor and gui are nice but it doesn't have that magic x-verb has. For me, x-verb hugs the source like no other plugin, very much like hardware verbs do. I'll stick with x-verb I guess until it becomes obsolete.
Tried it and couldn't agree more with you you are spot on with this short opinion. I expected (since x-verb is really really good sounding reverb plugin) that this one is a step above. While in fact is step down (in my opinion).

This reverb stick out very artificially and as someone posted out already ER is a bit weird.
I couldn't care less for a compressor in reverb.
I guess it's good plugin if you never heard X-verb. But if you did (like i am and like i expected step above) then it's a disappointment. I wonder what they (SSL) listened to - when creating this reverb??
Well X-verb still works

Also Schrott, Schade ...
An sich ist es möglich, die alten SSL Version neben den neuen zu betreiben. Bei mehreren alten SSL Plugins heißt es, dass sie besser seien als die neuen!

Was mich stört, dreht man an "Size" setzt das Signal kurz aus, für eine feinfühlige Einstellung eher ungeeignet.
Es ist ein Reverb mit ein paar netten Dingen. Ich denke, wenn jemand ein Reverb hat, wird dieser Kauf nicht notwendig sein. Meine üblichen Verdächtigen, Valhalla Room/Plate, Pro-R reichen für mich völlig aus.

Ich bin auf den Namen, die GUI und den Preis angesprungen 😂

Ich hab ein Problem mit der FlexVerb Version. Es wird bei mir nur als VST2 angezeigt. Auch wenn ich es neu installiere, steht in der Instalationsroutine VST2. Ich habe aber die VST3 Datei im von Studio One vorgesehenem Ordner (C-Programs-Common Files- VST3). Jedoch im PlugIn Manager wird sie nicht angezeigt.

Hat jemand ne Idee, woran das liegen könnte, dass ich mir nicht die VST3 Version auswählen kann? Bin für Tipps dankbar.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Before I got the Lexicon PCM-Bundle the X-Verb often was my main reverb, because it has a really great sound. The interface might be a bit complicated and presets are organized in folders and files, but you get used to it. For me the Lexicon PCM-Bundle is faster to use and has a better sound-quality, but the X-Verb was a good and (some years ago) cheaper alternative and some X-Verb presets are really unique (spring reverb and some fx).

The new FlexVerb is different: ER seem to be very static, they don't react to size or diffusion (might be a bug?) and the eq and compressor can't compensate this static behavior. Diffusion seems to have only minimal effects in the tail and changes are mostly audible when used with high modulation values. 'Size' changes the sound a bit with one mouse move, but it behaves a bit strange.

Long ago before ValhallaDSP, Exponential Audio and Lexicons were available as plug-in, I experimented a lot with chorus, eq and compressor and for example Waves TrueVerb or RVerb to emulate the sound of higher end reverbs. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not, because the key to a good reverb is way more than just an EQ! FlexVerb reminds me a bit of that area...

Kind of a letdown. I got all excited that I could upgrade but the verb algorithms are different. The compressor and gui are nice but it doesn't have that magic x-verb has. For me, x-verb hugs the source like no other plugin, very much like hardware verbs do. I'll stick with x-verb I guess until it becomes obsolete.
Tried it and couldn't agree more with you you are spot on with this short opinion. I expected (since x-verb is really really good sounding reverb plugin) that this one is a step above. While in fact is step down (in my opinion).

This reverb stick out very artificially and as someone posted out already ER is a bit weird.
I couldn't care less for a compressor in reverb.
I guess it's good plugin if you never heard X-verb. But if you did (like i am and like i expected step above) then it's a disappointment. I wonder what they (SSL) listened to - when creating this reverb??
Well X-verb still works

Also Schrott, Schade ...

Die usprüngliche Version ist deswegen so gut, weil sie Martin „Warp“ Lind von Relab Development programmiert hatte!

Was meinst du mit "ursprüngliche Version"?
Die alten Versionen von den SSL VSTs sind häufig besser, so auch das X Verb.
@synthpark hat ja gearslutz zitiert.

Hier ein Bild vom SSL „Relab“ X- Verb (Vorgänger vom Flexverb):

1679517226898.jpeg

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Das ist interessant. Weißt Du, ob das alte X-Verb mit einer neuen Flexverb iLok-Lizenz läuft?
Zumindest weiß ich, dass mir beim Update die alten Versionen erhalten blieben. Aber da hatte ich das x-Verb noch nicht.
Hier kommt man vermutlich an ältere Versionen.
Müsste man ausprobieren:
Ich trauere aber dem X Verb nicht hinterher. Gibt ja auch andere gute Reverbs und Relab gibt es ja auch noch!

Neue Antworten

Oft gelesene Themen

Zurück
Oben