Gyraf Audio Gyratec XXI Magneto-Dynamic Infundibulum....

Akai31

Akai31

Reaktionen
G21_s.jpg

Nicht unspannend...

Gustav hat das Gerät auf der Musikmesse vorgestellt und mir (in Grundzügen) erklärt.
Ist schon ein cooles Teil, allerdings weis ich nicht wofür man es verwenden soll :)

Ist schon ein cooles Teil, allerdings weis ich nicht wofür man es verwenden soll Lächeln
Gute Frage... :D
Ich fand das Gerät "so anders", daß ich es für erwähnenswert gehalten habe.

Gustav hat das Gerät auf der Musikmesse vorgestellt und mir (in Grundzügen) erklärt.
Ist schon ein cooles Teil, allerdings weis ich nicht wofür man es verwenden soll :)
ich hatte ein ähnliches gefühl. scheint mir eher eine reine kreativ-maschine zu sein.

ich bin mir nicht sicher, ob ich das haben will, was hinter der frontplatte steckt - aber die frontplatte ansich ist schon toll. vielleicht kann man die auch so haben - gerne mit beleuchteten metern, die zudem wild zappeln!

Seine Beschreibung auf Gearslutz war auch eher nebulös. Wahrscheinlich muss man sich das Ding mal kommen lassen und einige Tage damit verbringen, um durchzusteigen.

Gyraf here..

You're right - we're really not trying to be mysterious about it - but it simply does not translate easily into the language we usually describe audio with.

As Ben mentions, this is the type of unit you should spend a couple of days with in your own studio if you want to know it - it's complex on the edge of being organic in the ways it behaves.

Over at GS there is a presentation thread with some sound examples (yes, I'm aware that this kind of examples does not show much): http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-product-alert/825179-presenting-gyraf-g21.html

Emil, who co-piloted the project, has written a subjective user's manual about his angle on the unit: https://www.facebook.com/notes/et-m...-magneto-dynamic-infundibulum/511256812244054

Still much room for discovery though..

Jakob Erland
Gyraf Audio

hi jakob!
thanks for providing further information on the GXXI. i already roughly read ben's manual & wanted to post it here. i think its really interesting to read & to get some impression on what your new unit is capable of.
unfortunately i missed to have a look at musikmesse...i was not aware that it could be useful for mastering :-(

Cheers Jakob, goog to have you over here. Thanks for shading a bit of light on the mystery :D
Do you know when it will be available at D.A.S. Hamburg for a demo?

i already roughly read ben's manual

For the record, I don't have anything to do with that manual. It should have been
Emil, who co-piloted the project

Do you know when it will be available at D.A.S. Hamburg for a demo?

The good people at D.A.S. has a demo unit already - although it may be overbooked: I've heard that it's a bit hard to get the unit back from tryouts :) If they "loose" it, we fix them up with a new in 3-4weeks.

Jakob E.

Makes sense in a way - but what you hear in Emil's original samples already IS only the G21 (and nothing else) - matched for the same dbfs peak level in both files to get an accurate idea of the dynamic control it offers. I mention this just in case you had the impression that the files were differently gained or eq'ed - no cheating used there...

To underline the point, your "dry" file peaks at 2-2.5dB HIGHER than the "g21"

Jakob E.

Makes sense in a way - but what you hear in Emil's original samples already IS only the G21 (and nothing else) - matched for the same dbfs peak level in both files to get an accurate idea of the dynamic control it offers. I mention this just in case you had the impression that the files were differently gained or eq'ed - no cheating used there...
no, i didn't think the files where differently gained or eq'ed, the EQ-differences are just a result from the g21 itself. thanks for clarifying!

from what i can hear, the g21 has an impact on the time & frequency domain. but i mainly wanted to hear the differences in the time domain (& other effects which we would describe as "box tone"). the human ear (or better brain) typically is more sensitive to frequency differences - i just wanted to remove that from the equation.

To underline the point, your "dry" file peaks at 2-2.5dB HIGHER than the "g21"
since the g21 also treats (saturates, etc.) the transients, i think it is a better approach to bring both signals to the same RMS value instead of same peak level, since the g21 would otherwise been perceived louder, since its peak levels are lower compared to the dry signal. the frequency curves shown in my EQ-setting are averaged with a window of 10 seconds in the time domain (which should give very similar results as with RMS matching over the whole file).

Very good - this is exactly what I hoped was your intention with the change!

My post because I wasn't sure we were on the same page - we are :)

Jakob E.

jakob, thanks for providing your view! :)

You've done a good job matching the files - but it doesn't really makes sense to me. The EQ-section on the G21 works completely integrated with the actual softclipping this device is doing. You can't reverse it as the attenuated frequencies are 'lost for good' (disappeared as heat e.g. - Jakob could explain this). The processing in a G21 is loaded with different kinds of non-linearities and the parameters do affect each other in a degree which makes it impossible to isolate just one function of the G21.

I follow you in comparing with equal RMS I do this very often and it's an important practice. This specific example with the drumloop was just to show the loudness possibilites when EQing with the G21. The specific EQ-settings could be different depending on the mix, this was just a subjective example.

If you want to hear the G21 on a specific kind of signal with the EQ bypassed you are very welcome to write me a mail and I'll happily give you a test sample.

/Emil

The first review is out - in current issue of British Sound on Sound Magazine (still preview only for non-subscribers): http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep13/articles/gyraf-g21.htm

And related sound examples: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep13/articles/gyrafg21-media.htm

The review was written by Hannes Bieger from Berlin - and we are quite happy to see that he obviously managed to get real in-depth understanding of the unit within the limited timeframe for the writing.

Hats off for that acheivement - as you may see from the above discussion, this is no trivial task...

:)

Jakob E.

Oft gelesene Themen

Zurück
Oben